I often receive emails asking if I will be coming to teach in a particular area, and as much as I would love to come to everyone’s home town (I am working on it!) here is the next best thing–an online class with iquilt: Translate Photos into Fabric Art
The online class can be viewed at your convenience, paused and repeated, so that you can learn at your own pace in your own time. Together, step by step, we will complete a simple image so you can learn how to turn your favorite photos into fabric art. Everything you will need is all right there in the class–supply list, the pattern, and a place to contact me for help or questions. It is almost like having me there with you!
The iquilt class covers the same material I provide in my workshops:
- Choosing the right photo–what to look for and what to consider
- Preparing a pattern for your art quilt from the photo (a pattern is provided for you in the class)
- What to know about how color can change the look of your art quilt, how to use it to focus attention on certain areas of the composition.
- Color Temperature, complimentary color, saturation and how to know what to use without a color wheel
- How print scale and unexpected prints can be used to elevate the photo into a true work of art
- The importance of value and how to use it
- How to break the pattern into manageable pieces and establishing values. Using the Art Quilter’s Value Scale Card to select the right fabrics.
- Evaluating and making changes and what to do when things go wrong
- Working intuitively rather than following a pattern exactly
- Finishing and hanging options
Once you understand the process and the basics, you will be comfortable moving on to all those photos you have always thought would make terrific art quilts! And don’t forget, if don’t want to make the pattern from your photo , just visit the “Custom art quilt pattern service” section of this website and let me do it for you.